Monday, December 22, 2008

We gotta get out of this place.....

Well, I'm stuck.

I was supposed to fly out of PDX at 3pm today, but here I am, sitting in Rob's apartment. I can't get to the airport (they shut down MAX for most of today) and my flight has been canceled twice even if I could. I also can't get back to my apartment where my cats are. They should be fine because I left them a week's worth of food, 3 water bowls (in case Minnow digs all the water out of them like she usually does) a pot of water in the sink with the tap dripping into it and the heat on low.

The problem is, even though I know they should be just fine, I worry. I can't help but think about all the what ifs, and those what ifs are scary. Merlin isn't the healthiest creature around, what if he chooses now to get really sick? What if Minnow falls off something for the one billionth time, and this time actually hurts herself? What if, what if, what if....

I'm going to try to get out there tomorrow (multiple friends with Subarus, rock on!) and check on them, but otherwise I'll just have to sit here and quietly panic.

My current flight schedule has me leaving PDX at 6am on Tuesday (ewwwwwwww!) and arriving at YVR at 7am. Then, due to some absolutely stellar scheduling, I get to wait til 4:30pm to catch the island hopper back home. I felt kinda sorry for the Air Canada employee who had to tell me this because it was obvious he expected me to start yelling and screaming (which he'd probably already got a lot of that day). I told him it wasn't his fault, and really....how bad is it? I mean, it's not like I have to sit outside in the snow and wait for my plane. YVR isn't half bad, as airports go, and I have 3 knitting projects, a couple books, and goldfish crackers. I suspect I'll survive and it'll become just one more "do you remember when...?" tale I can drag out at Christmas time. I plan to stick near to the gate anyway, and if I'm really lucky, a seat will open up on an earlier flight. I'm actually far less concerned about the day waiting at YVR and more annoyed by having to be at PDX for 6am. I mean, really. I'll probably just not sleep and head out around 3am, because looking at the clock right now (2:30am) I think I'll have better luck with that. Mom, if you're reading this, be prepared to accept delivery of a slightly frozen zombie. I may or may not be coherent, but I'll do my best.

So, keep your fingers crossed for me. I really do want to go home!

No comments: