Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Critters and Bugs

Started really looking at bacteria today and I got a few pictures. I'm too tired to type, so photos will have to suffice!

Lab. I love all the different colours of stain we get to play with (the tie-dyed effect on my hands, not so much)

Dirt! We cultured some dirt and this is what we found. The pink are gram negative bacteria, the purple gram positive. Most of the pink are cocci, and the purple baccilli, but the small purple bacteria next to the pointer (if you zoom in) looks like a clostridium. Makes sense since dirt is considered a pretty good source for it, especially Clostridium tetani.

Capsule stains. We were trying to determine if the bacteria had organized glycocalyces (also called capsules). These are viscous coats of proteins and sugars that protect certain bacteria. I was kind of excited to be working with K. pneumoniae because it shares my initials!

No comments: