Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Happy Canada Day

Every time I get homesick, I hit youtube and look for Canadian specific videos to make me feel better. A good dose of Rick Mercer or some National Film Board shorts usually cheers me up pretty quickly, but sometimes I just have to watch this video instead:




I've tried explaining to a couple of my American friends why this video gives me shivers every time I watch it, but it seems to be one of those things that just doesn't translate very well. I wouldn't consider myself to be a particularly rabid hockey fan, especially not compared to a lot of Canadians, but it resonates with me on a level that I think is particular to our country. I think, whether we follow it regularly or not, the game seeps into our pores and becomes part of our cultural identity in a way that is hard to pinpoint or describe, and yet that video somehow seems to sum it up. So, whenever I need to feel just a little bit more Canadian, I watch it.


And, for the record, that coke can would need to be smushed before being used as a puck. No way would you play with it that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

update blog immediately!