Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And everything looks just a little bit brighter

My neighbourhood is normally pretty quiet, especially at this time of night, but right now there are fireworks going off, people outside banging pots and pans and cheering. Downtown Portland has apparently turned into one big party, complete with a conga line stretching multiple blocks. It's exciting and wonderful and joyful, but I can't help but feel just a tiny bit sad.

When was the last time that Canadians got this worked up over politics? When did we last get so fiercely involved in our own government that we took to the streets in celebration over a new leader? We pride ourselves on our democracy and yet this recent election was a joke. Canadians plainly didn't care, and they showed it by not showing up at the polls. Early numbers on the US election are saying as high as 80% turnout, which would certainly shame our dismal 59%.

So, congratulations America, and congratulations Obama. This is an amazing night, and you should be proud.



and yes, there will be more posts this week. I'm sorry for the lack of entertainment, midterms and kennel duties at 7am are kicking my butt this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

excuses excuses....

Did you vote in the canadian election? I was so bummed out at how pathetic the situation is, felt pointless to vote (I did anyways..) We need a canadian obama.

Kate said...

yeah, I did a mail-in ballot. Not that it mattered really, I was voting Liberal and my riding might as well have Denise Savoie's name tattooed on it ;) At least she's a pretty good MP.