Monday, November 10, 2008

Life in the fast lane - Adventures in Felting

So, a few months ago I knit a purse. It's a pretty snazzy purse, if I do say so myself, and it was intended as a gift for Twitters.

Fast forward to now, and I still haven't done the finishing touches on this purse. I need to felt it.
I've never felted before, but given all the online tutorials, I figured it couldn't be that impossible. I mean, I've certainly seen how easy it is to felt garments by mistake; I should be able to manage doing one on purpose.

Over the course of the evening the purse has been through 30 solid minutes of swishing, scrubbing and swirling (all in water hot enough to sting my hands), 3 cold water "shock treatments", 2 soap rinses, and a 45 minute boiling water soak.

The result? I have a purse that is the same size as the one I put through this rigorous treatment with perfect stitch definition and only a slight sheen of fluff, an effect that is almost unnoticeable, if only I weren't looking so hard. Apparently, when the lady at Twisted sold me the yarn, she was mistaken in her verbiage. When she said it felted "beautifully" I think she might have meant "reluctantly", or perhaps "not in your lifetime". Tomorrow it gets the washing machine on "heavy duty" treatment. We'll see how it likes that.



(oh, and if you were wondering...yes, boiling wool smells about like you'd expect it to. God awful.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha, you are adventuring with wool too... only you knit yours - I buy it pre-knit, cut it up and sew it! LOL.

It really does smell terrible when it comes out of the wash or being boiled. And my wool interlock hasn't felted worth a darn either, even after four washes on hot/cold and machine drying. *sigh*

Robbin