Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Busy Day

I suppose I should be grateful that the tories got another minority, but really I'm just sad.

I have this image in my head of what Canada is - what it stands for, what it believes in, and how it acts. Being a Canadian to me means being socially progressive, tolerant, peaceful and respectful. It means being a responsible citizen and thinking of the needs and wants of others, not just of yourself. It means an attitude of acceptance regarding others beliefs, values and ideas.

This is an image I've grown up with, something that forms a surprisingly large part of my identity. I was a bit startled to realise this when I moved to the states because until I was no longer just one of many, it hadn't occurred to me just how much I am a Canadian. I'm proud of that citizenship and I value it greatly, not just for the freedoms and privileges it offers, but for the reputation and standing that goes with it. People like Canadians, and they respect us.

So, when I see Harper in power, I'm sad. I'm sad because the way he sees Canada is so obviously different from how I see it and I don't like it. I don't like telling my American friends that just when they are so excited about a change in political ideology in their own country that promises a more progressive and tolerant government, Canada has re-elected the man they refer to as "Mini-Bush". I don't like seeing the news articles about the Cadman Lawsuit or the Plagiarism issue - they make me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. Most of all though, I dislike the way my own opinion of Canada is changed by this government. My own identity as a Canadian somehow becomes less or cheapened by Harper's vision of Canada, and that is the saddest thing of all to me.


Moving onto less depressing but only marginally less stress inducing subjects....

I had my first of 4 midterms today in Animal Science. I'd been obsessing about this test all week; poring over flash cards, staying after class for study sessions with classmates, writing mnemonic devices all over my notes and generally panicking. I went in 3 hours early today to study and I was so geared up that I was practically bouncing when she handed out the test.

All of it paid off though, because I think I got an A. The last minute study session provided me with a few answers that hadn't stuck in my brain (What are the 3 volatile fatty acids produced by ruminants? - Acetic, propionic and butyric - think APB, for "all points bulletin") and overall I walked out of that midterm feeling like a million bucks.

I know I missed a few (Virashield5 protects against respiratory diseases *and* spontaneous abortion, and that arrow on the cow diagram was pointing to the stifle, not the inguinal area), but overall it was a nice confidence boost.

Now I just need to pass the A&P lecture exam, the A&P lab practical exam and the medical terminology test.....ugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim misses Kate very much. If she was there she would make Kate go for a walk and drink some earl grey.

Kate said...

I did the earl grey part....the walk will have to wait til there is less studying ;)
Miss you!!!!