I found this picture ages ago, and I really wish I'd written down the site I got it from. Extensive google searching has left me empty handed, but should anyone know where it is from I would like to credit it, because I love this photo.I love her outfit, and the expression on her face. I love that the Butter Church is in the background. Most of all though, I love the Cowichan Sweater she's knitting. I am such a sucker for those things, and one day I hope I'll have enough skill (and money for materials!) to make one.
Cowichan Sweaters originated around the mid 1800's when European settlers began arriving in the Cowichan Valley area. The natives had been weaving various types of fibres for generations before that, so they quickly learned and adapted the art of knitting to their own style. The sweaters became very popular, and still are today.
Before I left for Portland, Dad gave me a Cowichan Sweater for Christmas, and I love it. The designs on the sweaters are beautiful, the knit-work is amazing, and when properly cared for, the sweaters will shed rain quite nicely. How perfect for the Pacific North-Wet? (no, that isn't a typo...)
Still sick today, and I was actually much worse earlier. I had a fever most of last night and this morning, so I ended up missing class. I hated to do it, but I emailed the instructor and got the homework assignment so I won't fall behind. It sounds like I didn't miss much in lecture or lab (which is a relief), and I'm not sure I would have been able to absorb much were I there anyway. I slept til almost 3pm and then napped on and off for the rest of the evening. Blech!
Speaking of sleep, I think it may be bedtime!
3 comments:
That's a wonderful photo, and a great post.
You are quite the blogger lil lady.
Bp
I sure hope you get better. Many well wishes!!!
B: Thanks! Coming from the neon-empowered muppet himself, that's high praise ;)
Bunny: Thanks! Miss you!
Post a Comment