Wednesday, October 22, 2008

More than one way to skin a cat

I got my A&P midterm results back today. I got a solid B on both, which makes me happy......but I want to do better. I think, now that we're done with cell functions, I can get a higher grade on the next midterm. I hope so anyway, because I want an A. I know that this is a weeder course, I know that I'm going to have to work my butt off to get that A, but I want it anyway. I'd convinced myself going into these midterms that I didn't really care, that the fact I was feeling so nervous didn't matter because I just needed to pass and that was all, but the moment I saw my scores, I had to admit that I did care. I know I'm capable of getting an A, so that's what I want to get. If I end up with a B, well....I passed. But I want better.

Anyway, the cat skinning. I have no entertaining Animal Science Tuesday Lab stories this week because lab was canceled (the goat farm field trip fell through). A&P lab today more than made up for it though because we got to skin cats.

My lab team got into the spirit of it a little too much perhaps, and we were having a lot of fun. I was using a scalpel to gently scrape away some connective tissue when one of my lab partners mentioned that the instructor had suggested using scissors. I told her that there was more than one way to skin a cat, which earned me a groan from my other lab partner. Of course, she got her own back when I said I needed to go blow my nose. She offered me a chunk of skin and said "Tissue? Get it?". Bad pun.

It kept going too. We accidentally cut a hole into the skin and one partner yelled "Take her to church, she's holy!". We cut a cross-section out of the stratum corneum on the right metatarsal pad (aka, the paw) and I told them that "the kitten lost her mitten". Our cat was also a polydactyl (poly-many, dactyl-toe/finger) who had 7 toes on each foot. We named her (yes, we named our dead, preserved lab cat...so?) E.T. the extra-toe-restrial. We crack ourselves up.

Tomorrow is yet another quiz (shoot me now). This one is on camelids, which I'm feeling fairly confident on. At least I have some experience with them.

3 comments:

meli said...

This was the perfect :good morning story". Sounds like you're having a blast kitten, am so very happy to have read that entry this morning!

Kate said...

glad you liked it! Miss you Bunny, how're you doing?

Bpaul said...

Oh the puns... so detrimental this time of morning LOL